Monday, August 1, 2011

Bathtub Problem, Fix & Another Fix

So much has been happening at the house, and in the neighborhood, I can hardly keep up.  Our neighborhood has only 14 available lots.  The first one is totally done, with landscaping and a mailbox and everything.  They must be settling this week.  Ours is supposed to be the next one finished, but two others are up, with tyvek and roofing.  I'm getting a bit jealous because I feel like they are catching up with us!  Its amazing how the small field is changing.  I hope we like the end result.  :)

A while back, we found that the garden tub has some chips in it.  One on the back, and one on each of the front sides.  Our PM was quite pissed when I pointed it out on our pre-drywall walk through.  He assured me that it would be taken care of, which I had assumed meant that they would order a new tub.

This weekend, the house was wide open (not really happy about that) so we went in and did a comprehensive look at the drywall that had been installed. I was dismayed when I saw this:

See that rounded bit of the tub - its been repaired with some
kind of compound/spackle

Same deal on the OTHER side of the tub
I mean, listen, you and I know that I'm going to screw that tub up almost immediately upon moving in.  I'll drop something on it, scratch it, bust it, spill wine in it, but _I_ want to be the one to do it, not the tradesmen.  There was another repaired spot on the back, but I didn't take a picture.

Long story short, I was miffed by this pretty crappy repair.  I sent a nice, but firm, email to my PM pointing it out.  On Sunday at 10:30pm, he responded.  10:30pm!  But it wasn't the answer I wanted.  he explained that the fiberglass guy had been out, and that it had been repaired, no structural issues, yadda yadda.  I wasn't too happy, but bided my time until I could respond more firmly that I wanted a new tub.  End of story.

Luckily, I didn't have to.  I rec'd an email very early this morning from PM saying that the tub would be replaced.  He must have seen the same hack job I did.  So, no fight, struggle.  It just got taken care of.

Obviously there are going to be things that go wrong, but they are all getting taken care of almost immediately.  Our PM has said several times that he is building our house as if he was building it for himself, and I honestly believe him.  

Lots of drywall pictures to come.  I'm sure you can't wait!!

7 comments:

  1. It is quite common for tubs to get damaged and repaired during the construction process. We had a couple cracks in ours and our PM told us that he had a sizable hole in his ...all repaired to perfection. It looks like the tradesman that came in did not know what he was doing in your case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree with you and are glad that you spoke up and told RH that you were not happy. We are also happy to see that they responded and took care of the problem to meet your satisfaction. They did the right thing. We have read other blogs where they had problems with their bath tubs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES!!! I'd want a new tub too. Glad you're getting it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...it is surprising at the hack job. Our PM said the same thing as Shara. The material they are made of can be repaired and you usually can't even tell they did it, but the tradesman that tried to fix yours did a hack job on it for sure. I will have to go by your development when I get a chance and check it out first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on something, I expect it to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really, really, really, who thought this was going to fly!?@ The handman hackster is really a jokester...Does he know how much we are spenidng on these homes...smh...

    Anyways, I am happy that the issue is resolved. Since my journey began with Ryan and joining the efamily and reading about your experiencesI have learned that Ryan really goes out of their way to satisfy the customer. They have a few minor issues, but overall I believe, they really want their customers to be happy. I feel like they have at least tried to accomadate our requests and concerns. I really appreciate that and I am happy that they fixed your tub Ms. Ranter. :) Once again go RYAN!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SCJ - I couldn't have said it better myself! And everyone else too! It was a 3500 upgrade. For that kind of money, I want perfection. And it is being addressed - the drywall was taken out around the tub today, so I anticipate a new one going in very soon - and much more cautiously this time!

    ReplyDelete